Magic of The Arts// ART

Art is probably the one thing that has been present all my life. One of my first memories is creating comics of three little girls, in the first grade. I still have the sketchbook where I drew their adventures. As the years passed I  experimented with different mediums; watercolors, acrylics, oil pastel, charcoal. I drew portraits and (attempted to draw) landscapes. Mostly, when I make my art I don't strive for it to express something or say anything. Looking back at the art I made during different stages of my life I discovered something; every single piece I make perfectly describes what I was going through when I made it.


I saw the pain, or the happiness. I saw feelings, thoughts, every  kind of emotion. I had done all that in different ways without meaning to. A question popped up in my head; what would be the product if I tried to incorporate emotions in my art? Little after whenever I felt any kind of strong emotion, I'd draw. I had become obsessed with saying things without opening my mouth. I'd make angry sketches and gloomy seas. I was surrounded by millions of pieces that spoke for themselves. One could almost hear voices, stories coming out of every single brush stroke. I was in a state of full self expression. I had and still have a voice.

Donald Woods Winnicott once said “Artists are people driven by the tension between the desire to communicate and the desire to hide”. I communicated because I desired to. I don't use my voice much. I don't necessarily speak in order to say what I feel. I hide in my room, I paint, sometimes I just drown myself in thoughts. I always have something to say about everything. I want to state my views without having to open my mouth in front of a group of people. I'm no good in public speaking, but I can transmit a message. A raw and sometimes hard to decode message. Art has helped me speak, even when I don't want to. Art is another weapon that I can use against the cynical minds of others. Art is another (of the many) way to raise your voice. Later!
-Laura
posted on

2 comments

  1. Lau I loved what you wrote! You are a very special girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura I loved your entry. I hope you continue sharing your art with us and continue developing your art for writing. This is awesome. I'm so greatful that I got to read this.

    ReplyDelete