ALBUM REVIEW // CLEOPATRA - THE LUMINEERS


In 2012, The Lumineers released their debut, self-titled album, featuring Ho Hey, a toe-tapping, hit tune you've most likely heard before. Four years later, after touring the world, they release their long-awaited sophomore album, Cleopatra. 


After listening to their first album for the better part of four years straight, I fell in love with its innocent, charming demo-ish feel. Almost never is there a band that can shove their first album out of fans' hearts and put a new one in it's place, but The Lumineers is a rare exception. Cleopatra is energetic and full, and although the difference is prominent, the band's unique flair still remains. Each track tells a story and has a meaning. With flavourful sounds and warm words, The Lumineers' second album might just be better than the first, and is bound to be one of the best records of the year. 

FIRST LISTEN: TRACK BY TRACK

1. Sleep On The Floor
"'Cause if we don't leave this town,
We might never make it out.
I was not born to drown, baby come on." 
Track one is the perfect introduction to the album. The first minute or so sounds almost exactly like something on their first album, but as it goes on, the professional sound and introduction to bold percussion makes the listener's stomach churn and immediately puts forth a strong impression of the album to come. 

2. Ophelia 
"Heaven help a fool who falls in love."
A tale about complications that arise from floods of attention. Brutally honest and mesmerizing, no wonder this song became a hit. The piano in the backtrack is absolutely amazing, along with a soft beat and captivating vocals.  As their first single released, it's catchy and certain to win the hearts of everyone listening, as it did mine. Gives a feel of The Lumineers sound without too much of that folk element that many are resistant to. If there's one song you would listen to on this album, let it be this one. 

3. Cleopatra
"I was late for this, late for that, late for the love of my life.
And when I die alone, when I die alone, when I die I'll be on time." 
The title track does not disappoint. An edgy song, the lead up throughout is almost exhilarating. A song you'd dance to in a bar. 

4. Gun Song 
"One day, I pray, I'll be more than my father's son,
But I don't own a single gun." 
I first heard this song at their concert in 2013. A throwback to the 1800s, in the best way possible. I felt nostalgic, almost, for a time period I didn't experience. 

5. Angela
"You held your course to some distant war
In the corners of your mind". 
One of my favourites on the album. A lighthearted feel, with a Sufjan Stevens-esque backtrack and uninterrupted vocals. A low-key Lumineers song, less intensity but full of passion. 

6. In The Light 
"Time, give me my yesterdays."
The epitome of nostalgia. Makes me feel 70 years old, looking back on life. The instrumentals are wonderful, warming up your heart with major chords. A perfect sunset-on-the-beach song. 

7. Gale Song 
"And oh, this too shall pass
This loneliness won't last for long."
A heart-wrenching tale about long distance love during a war. The song first premiered in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, hence the title. Again, the band throws you into the shoes of another. It's an audible letter of a soldier. 


8. Long Way From Home 
"You're right next to me,
But you're a long way from home."
So, this song hit right in the feels. Heartbreakingly beautiful, a beautiful ballad that every album needs, Wesley Schultz' vocals making everything more emotional. Full of passion and sorrow. 

9.  Sick In The Head
"People say I'm no good...
Fuck 'em, they're just sick in the head...
I will not be here forever, dear
So let's just make this count a lot in here."
I love these lyrics. Words everybody needs to hear, gives a boost of confidence. One of the only songs I've come across where the lyrics are focused on more than the music, and rightfully so. Slay em, Wesley. 

10. My Eyes 

"You always confused your servants for friends
But you couldn't see how it ends
It's all or nothing to you." 
Another lovely ballad, another favourite of mine off of the album. The "Slow It Down" of album two. 

11. Patience

Although this one doesn't have any lyrics, I find it quite funny, because I was totally expecting it to, so I waited and waited. Therefore; patience. Ha, clever. 

OVERVIEW


A beautiful album, overall. A collection of stories, much like the first album, but fuller and warmer. An amped up version of the tremendous impact of the first. I'd listen to it for ages. Give it a chance, it'll capture your heart in 35 minutes. 9.5/10.


Link to buy is here, it's also available to stream on Spotify. 

- Tara x




























posted on

Post a Comment