Spring Germination// Growth

Taken during a sunny day
Growth is something common and hard for teenagers.
Many adults underestimate our power and the struggles that we face in trying to find ourselves. It's funny because they forget the undeniable fact that they, too, were teenagers. Teenagehood is all about growth + transition and how can this be easy? I personally believe that all teenagers need to know that they're not alone. I, for a long time, believed I was alone in this journey and it took me a long time to realize I wasn't.


To add to my struggles, I was also told; “you can't turn into this,” “you can't do this.” I was told by close people what I could and should be. I was and still am criticized for my growing beliefs and the roots of who I am. Who I was turning into depended more on other people's views rather than my own.

Without realizing it I had fallen into a never ending hole of rejection and self-doubt. Who could I be if I was told that was wrong? How could I love myself if outside voices criticized me? I could not tell the difference between my voice and those. Eventually, after sleepless nights, I realized that I had the power of deciding who I was going to be. And that is a power everyone owns + has the right to use. 


I know all this is hard, it still is for me, but hopefully you'll reach a stage of self-acceptance. Stop listening to what others have to say about who you are (unless it's a compliment where you can internally yell “helll yaahhh!”). You be what you want to be, and the only opinion that matters is yours.  Wishing you a safe (and slightly less troublesome) germination! Later,

-Laura


posted on

Post a Comment